Sunday, January 11, 2015

How I Got My Dog Sledding Start



Ken and Donna Davis gave me an incredible opportunity... experience sprint dog racing.  I am forever grateful to them and their fantastic dogs for this experience.  Ken also coached the Jamacian Dog Sled Team! You can follow Ken at //www.elfstonekennel.com/ 


The Jamaican Sled Dog Team visits my my classroom.
Damion Robb and his coach Ken Davis compete in races throughout the US and Canada.   

Students at Snowflake Skijor & Sprint Classic
in Duluth seeing what sprint mushing is all about.

Scott Myre, two time Beargrease Mid-Distance champion and parent of one of my students, introduced me to Doug Swingley.  Doug came to my classroom to talk to students, fueling my interest in the sport even more.  I was invited to see Doug at the start of Alaska's Iditarod in 2007.


In addition to Doug Swingley, I got to know local musher Matt Rossi and quickly learned how he and his entire family are ambassadors of the sport.  Matt and his wife Paula are great resources for local schools.  Matt's son-in-law Ryan Reddington is the grandson of "Father of the Iditarod" Joe Reddington. His son, Andrew Letzring races too.


In Anchorage, AK, author Gary Paulsen spoke at an education conference.  He talked about many of his dog sledding and writing experiences. Arriving early, he autographed a copy of his book 
My Life in Dog Years





Here I am with Gay Salisbury at the education conference in Alaska where I learned more about the historic serum run.  Her book THE CRUELEST MILES: The Heroic Story of Dogs and Men in a Race Against an Epidemic  gave a detailed account of the 674 mile dog sled journey.  


My pilot and me in front of the plane (Beaver) that will take us to Finger Lake, 
a checkpoint on the Iditarod Trail.

Matt Rossi takes a nap with his dogs at the Finger Lake checkpoint.

Meeting Iditarod Champion Mitch Seavey at the Ceremonial Start in Anchorage, AK
A worthwhile stop to Alaska Heritage Center on the way to the Iditarod Restart.

1 comment: